These Healthy Protein Balls require no baking and are made with peanut butter, nuts and oats making them high in omega 3’s and of course, high in protein!
I am a big omega 3 fan. I try to eat a handful of nuts every day! But sometimes I need a touch of sweetness to satisfy that hankering for sugar. Not too much, but just a bit. This is why these protein balls are the perfect healthy afternoon snack to keep you going.
They are so easy to make and take just 7 minutes! They give me the boost I need to get through my morning or afternoon. I will to make a large batch on Sunday or once during the week. Then I will roll them all out and stash them in a large freezer bag for weeks to come.
No dates or protein powder!
Although I love energy balls with dates, like my Healthy Chocolate Chia Energy Bites, but sometimes I run out of them or simply get sick of eating them. As for protein powder, I don’t hate it but feel like many are not natural and sometimes they just don’t taste good.
So this recipe is made:
- without protein powder
- without dates
- without honey
- without flaxseeds
- without coconut
- without chocolate
- without seeds
How to make your protein balls
All you need is a food processors and 7 minutes!
Step 1: Toasts your nuts in the oven or in a skillet. *This is optional but adds a nice roasted flavor!
Step 2: Add your ingredients in a food processor and blend well.
Step 3: Roll into balls.
Step 4: Store in a sealed container or freeze to save for weeks.
A healthy PB option
Keep in mind, many of the famous peanut butter brands we have come to love growing up have A LOT of added sugars and other unknown ingredients that make them…ehh.. lets just say NOT so healthy!
If you have ever purchased REAL, NATURAL peanut butter, you will know immediately. The consistency is not the same. It has a much thinner consistency and often requires you to stir it up before using. That’s because the only ingredients are peanuts! ZERO sugar! Not surprisingly, most of us prefer the taste of the sugary brands instead.
So just keep this in mind!
If you want to make these energy bites truly healthy, use ALL NATURAL peanut butter! To find them, just look at the label! Brands like to fool us. Even though some labels say “NATURAL”, they STILL have sugar in them!
*If you do NOT have a natural peanut butter on hand, that’s okay. Just omit the maple syrup because you won’t need the added sugars. If you’re low carb, remove the maple syrup regardless.
If you’re looking for another healthy paleo and vegan recipe, try my Healthy Grab and Go Banana Walnut Muffins!
TIP* Make sure you use oats that say “quick oats” or “minute oats” on the label or they will turn out tough.
Did you check out these healthy snacks?
Peanut Butter Oat Energy Bites
- 1 Cup Quick 1-Minute Oats
- 2 Tbsp. Natural Peanut Butter ((Zero Sugar))
- 1 Cup Assorted Nuts ((Unsalted))
- 2 Tsp. Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp. Pure Maple Syrup ((Optional))
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt ((only if using unsalted nuts))
- Optional* Toast the mixed nuts in a skillet over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or in the oven on a sheet pan at 350 degrees F for 5-10 minutes. Watch them carefully since they tend to burn easily!
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and puree until fully incorporated. You may need to scrape sides down once.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop to scoop and roll into 12 bites. Store in fridge for up to a week or freezer for up to 3 weeks. Enjoy!
- This recipe is made with all natural peanut butter which does not have any added sugars. If you are using brands like Jif or Skippy, you will want to omit the maple syrup so your bites do not end up being too sweet.
- Since we are not pre-cooking the oats, make sure you use the quick oats!!