Who doesn’t love crispy, warm churros rolled in cinnamon sugar? These homemade mini churro bites are made bite sized and BAKED and served with an easy chocolate sauce. They can be made with or without eggs.
Baked Mini Churro Bites
This recipe is great because it only LOOKS complicated. It really is easier than it looks, I promise. Mainly because you do not need to deep fry your churros batter in hot oil! Baking them also makes these mini churros quicker to whip up and so much more convenient!
I love serving these to guests because they are a fun and uniquely sweet dessert that both kids and adults LOVE! Plus, they can be made in advance and will stay fresh for a few days!
What Are Churros?
Churros are a fried dough/pastry also called a “choux pastry”. (the ‘x’ is silent!) Choux dough is used to make profiteroles, croquembouches, éclairs, French crullers and beignets!!
So if you know how to make a good choux dough, you really can make multiple French desserts!
You will honestly feel like a professional pastry chef after making these. And because the main ingredients in choux dough are typically butter, water, flour and eggs, it is NOT hard to do.
How To Bake Mini Churros
To get these mini churros ready, all you need to do is pull out four ingredients and you’ll be ready for some churro making! That’s why I LOVE making them.
- Milk/Water/Nut Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Egg (Optional)
Step 1: Add your flour, salt and sugar in a separate bowl and set aside. Place your water, milk, butter and vanilla in small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Grab a wooden spoon in the meantime.
Step 2: Once boiling, add your flour mixture and stir with the spoon until mixture comes together in a ball. This should only take 10 seconds or so. Do not over mix! Turn OFF heat and add your egg. Mix until egg is combined with the dough.
Step 3: Once dough has slightly cooled, add it to a piping bag with a star tip or a Ziploc bag. Pipe mini churros onto a greased baking sheet in little ‘logs” about 2″ long. (see photo above.) They will not expand so you do not need to leave much room in between them.
Step 4: Bake at 400F on the top shelf for about 15 minutes or until inside is JUST cooked through.
Step 5: While baking, combine your cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl or another Ziploc bag. Toss your churros in this mixture right when they come out of the oven!
*See complete ingredients and instruction below!
Can You Substitute The Eggs?
Believe it or not, eggs are actually not a necessity to make churros! So if you’re VEGAN, don’t go anywhere!!! Omitting the eggs will just result in crunchier churros which is how they traditionally prepare them on the streets in Mexico! The consistency will not be as cakey or soft, but they will still come out delicious.
What you need to do is boil together your water and fat (in this case butter).
Then once this starts to happen, add your flour (and some vanilla if using) and STIR, STIR, STIR!!
Once it comes together in a ball, take off heat and add your egg(s) mixing until combined.
And that’s it!! Your dough is ready!!
Note* Traditional or “authentic” churros recipes are typically NOT made with eggs. Using eggs will give you a “cakier” consistency rather than a “crunchier” one.
Now…the tricky part is piping your dough onto a sheet pan NEATLY.
I highly suggest getting yourself a one GOOD piping bag with a standard smaller star tip like this one here.
Don’t have a fancy tip or piping bag? No problem!! Keep reading.
Make a DIY Churro Piping Bag!
If you do NOT have a piping bag, you can simply make your own!
Most of us have plastic (Ziploc) bags so hoping you have one, you will fill your bag and then cut off the corner until you have a hole about the size of a nickle/quarter.
You won’t get the pretty star look to your churros but that’s okay!
Make sure you use a STRONG bag, not the ones from the dollar store! I like to use the freezer bags for this. They are much more durable.
If you have piping tips but no bag, then simply snip off a corner of the bag. Then insert your desired tip into that corner making sure your piping tip does not slip out of the hole. *The width of the hole should be smaller than the width of your piping tip.
How To Store Homemade Churros
Homemade churros will keep 2-3 days in an airtight container or plastic storage bag. Just remember to keep air out and they will stay fresh! I do not recommend keeping them in the refrigerator! This will make them soggy.
How This Churro Recipe Is Unique
- I used vanilla extract in the dough
- I used an egg to make them more moist inside (‘cakier’ rather than crunchier)
- I baked them so they have less fat and calories
- I added a lil’ sugar to my dough since churro dough is typically NOT sweet
- I paired them with a delicious dark chocolate sauce
- I made them bite sized so they are LESS MESSY!
- I used milk in addition to water for a richer taste
Common Churro Questions
- Can I make these vegan? Yes! Omit the eggs and replace the milk with nut milk or water and TADA! Vegan churros!
- Can I deep fry my churros? Yes! Just bring a few inches of oil to 350-375ºF and pipe dough into the oil OR pipe first then drop your logs into the oil until golden brown!
- Can you make these larger/longer? Of course! Use a larger piping tip to pipe the dough “fatter” or make ’em longer! Heck, make a heart shape if you’re feeling it!
Coating Tip* Replace the cinnamon in your cinnamon/sugar coating with apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice, citrus zest, cocoa powder, espresso powder, or even chili powder for a delicious change!
How To Make Your Chocolate Dipping Sauce For Churro Bites
This chocolate sauce for dipping is completely optional! With that said, it is completely delicious with these churro bites! I think we can all agree that dipping just makes everything more fun ESPECIALLY when the thing your dipping is a bite sized mini churro!
How to heat your chocolate sauce:
Add chocolate chips and milk to a small heat proof bowl or mug. You can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate OR semi-sweet chocolate.
Then place the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds. Take out and stir WELL. If needed, place in microwave in 10 second intervals stirring in between until your sauce is smooth.
Important* Do NOT overheat or get any other liquids in your chocolate or your chocolate will scorch or seize. If you do, watch this video on how to save your chocolate!
Here are some other mini sweet snacks you may like:
Easy Baked Churro Bites Recipe:
BAKED Mini Churro Bites w/ Quick Chocolate Sauce
- 5 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 1/4 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt ((if using unsalted butter))
- 1 Large Egg
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup Chocolate Chips ((dark or semi-sweet))
- 2 Tbsp. Whole Milk
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add your flour, salt and sugar in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Place your water, milk, butter and vanilla in small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Grab a wooden spoon in the meantime.
- Once boiling, add your flour mixture and stir with the spoon until mixture comes together in a ball. This should only take 10 seconds or so. Do not over mix!
- Turn OFF heat and add your egg. Mix until egg is combined with the dough.
- Once dough has slightly cooled, add it to a piping bag with a star tip or a Ziploc bag. Pipe churros onto a greased baking sheet in little ‘logs” about 2″ long. (see photo above.) They will not expand so you do not need to leave much room in between them.
- To get clean edges, press the tip of the bag down onto your sheet pan and drag the bag along the pan to “cut” your logs.
- Bake on the top shelf for about 15 minutes or until inside is JUST cooked through. NOTE* They will not turn brown on top but they will be browned on the bottom!
- While baking, combine your cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl right when they come out of the oven! The sugar will not stick if you wait too long. Serve with chocolate sauce on the side!
Dark Chocolate Sauce
- Add milk and chocolate chips to a heat-proof bowl or mug and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is fully melted and smooth. If it needs more time, pop in the microwave for another 10 seconds!
See more mini sized desserts!Follow me!