This Mocha Vanilla Pudding Cookie recipe is the BEST cookie recipe I have in my cookbook! They contain my two all-time FAVORITE ingredients…coffee and chocolate!! They also have vanilla pudding in them so tell me, how can you go wrong? Best of all, NO CHILLING of the dough is necessary!
Chocolate Chip Mocha Cookies with VANILLA PUDDING!
They’re finallyyy here!! I have been working on this cookie recipe for over a year now. Super soft, chocolaty and thick, with just a hint of coffee, these cookies are to die for!
If you have never heard of pudding being added to baked goods before, you have been missing out big time! The first time I tried chocolate chip cookies with pudding mix, I was HOOKED. I remember within a week, I started testing recipes. I knew I wanted to use vanilla pudding but I also wanted to make them much THICKER and with a touch of coffee flavor. Because frankly, I’m obsessed with coffee.
So if you love coffee and chocolate, you are in the right place. And if you love sippin’ on coffee WHILE eating chocolate, well then we clearly need to be best friends.
How Do You Make Pudding Cookies?
I made a batch to bring to work and I had FOUR people come to me throughout the day just to tell me how good they were. I love when people truly enjoy what I cook/bake. It just makes me so happy! So four people going out of their way just to give rave reviews? I was on cloud 9!
My overall goal for this recipes was to create the “perfect” chocolate chip cookie recipe…which is kinda funny when you think about it. IS there such a thing? I mean, there are SO many delicious chocolate chip cookie recipes out there that I don’t think it’s possible to have the ‘best’, ‘perfect’, ‘ultimate’ cookie recipe.
With that said, this is MY kind of perfect. With a hint of coffee flavor, you get that mocha taste without being overwhelmed by coffee. These cookies are also super THICK which everyone loves! So if you want thin and crispy, you’ve come to the wrong place.
What Are Pudding Cookies?
Pudding cookies are simply what they sound like. Regular cookie dough with instant pudding powder added straight to the dough! You do NOT need to mix the pudding with milk prior to adding it. Just throw in the powder with your dry ingredients!
The awesome thing about pudding cookies is that you can add ANY instant pudding to your mix. Chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch, banana, etc. They will taste delicious with any of them!
Commonly Asked Pudding Cookie Questions:
Can I use any flavor of pudding for this recipe?
Yes! Chocolate, butterscotch, banana, cheesecake, anything your heart desires!
Do I mix the pudding first before adding it to my cooking mix?
No! You want to add the mix in while its dry!
Why use pudding?
Pudding will make the cookies extremely moist and a ton of flavor!
Do I need to refrigerate (chill) my cookies before baking?
No! Just scoop and bake!
Can I omit the coffee? Can I substitute espresso powder?
Yes and yes! They will be delicious with OR without the coffee. If omitting, you would just need to rename your this recipe from ‘mocha pudding cookies’ to just ‘chocolate pudding cookies’. 🙂 If using espresso powder, your cookies will have a slightly stronger coffee flavor (with more kick of course!) 🙂
How do I get my cookies to look like “yours”?
- Use a mini cookie scoop! (They will give you bite sized uniform cookies every time!)
- Add more chocolate chips to the top of your cookies right before baking! (This is purely for aesthetics. You’re cookies will look prettier!”
- Be precise with your measurements! (A little too much flour, and your cookies will be too thick.)
Do I need to press my cookies down before baking?
You can if you want. I usually don’t because I like them extra thick but if you do, they will still come out beautiful and thick!
How long will my pudding cookies last?
Baked: These cookies will last in a sealed Tupperware container for up to a week. Tip* Add a piece of bread to keep them nice and moist!
Pre-baked: Mix up your cookie dough then roll it into either a log or pre-formed balls. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Pin the image below to save this recipe for a rainy day!
More delicious chocolate desserts you may like:
The BEST Mocha Vanilla Pudding Cookies (no chilling)
The BEST Mocha Vanilla Pudding Cookies (no chilling)
- 1 1/4 Stick Unsalted Butter (10 Tbsp.) ((if using salted, omit the salt below))
- 1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar ((light or white can be substituted))
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 3/4 Tsp. Instant Coffee Powder ((or espresso powder))
- 1/4 Cup Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. (yes 325!)
- In a mixer (using the paddle attachment if you have) cream together your butter and sugar on high until pale and fluffy. (about a minute or two.)
- Add your egg, vanilla extract, and instant coffee. Mix on medium speed until fully combined.
- In another bowl, add all of your dry ingredients. Turn your mixer on the lowest speed and add your dry into your wet scraping down the sides of the bowl at least once. Make sure you do NOT over mix!
- Stop mixer once the ingredients are mixed together. Lastly, add your chocolate chips and mix very briefly until they are dispersed throughout the dough.
- Using a mini cookie scoop, place one scoop of dough onto a nonstick baking sheet followed by another scoop directly on TOP. They should be pretty tall. To cook properly, cookie scoop should be no more than 1" in diameter or hold no more 1 oz. of dough.
- Bake on the MIDDLE rack for 11-12 minutes MAX. Do not over-bake! They may not look done but they are! Allow to cool before transferring so they do not fall apart. Store in a sealed bag or container for 3-5 days or in the freezer for 3-5 months.