These Baked Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms (with kale and craisins) are a simple party appetizer. Made with cream cheese and topped with a crispy panko crust, this recipe is always a hit at my house!
This delicious stuffed mushroom appetizer is meatless but no one would even know it! They are packed with flavor so vegetarian or not, everyone will LOVE them!
Why are these ‘THE BEST” vegetarian stuffed mushrooms?
Because they are super simple to put together, look uber fancy and taste damn delicious!!
This recipe for stuffed mushrooms is also the best because each mushroom is filled with cream cheese and also topped with a buttery panko breadcrumb shell!
Choosing your mushrooms
Please always wonder what mushrooms are the best for stuffing?
There is no right or wrong mushroom to stuff in my opinion. As long as your mushrooms are sturdy enough to stand up on their own and not TOO big. If they are too big, they will not be bite sized.
I find that the easiest and best mushrooms for stuffing are:
- White Button Mushrooms
- Cremini Mushrooms
- Portobello Mushrooms
Here is a list of all the different types of mushrooms if you’re interested!
What Cheese Is Best For Stuffed Mushrooms?
Frankly, any cheese would be delicious but a cheese that melts well would be the best option.
Here are some of the better cheeses that melt well:
- Parmesan (even though it doesn’t melt as well)
Washing your mushrooms
To wash or not to wash?
In most packages of mushrooms, I see dirt on them so I ALWAYS rinse mine. With that said, how to “properly” clean mushrooms is debatable. You can spend up to 20 minutes cleaning them if you wipe them one by one! Who has time for that?? Just rinse quickly and pat them dry!
As long as you don’t allow your mushrooms to soak in water! This is a no-no. Rinse, stuff and bake quickly.
More vegetarian appetizers you may like!
Baked Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms (with kale and craisins)
- 24 Small Mushrooms ((Cremini work well!))
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Kale ((or spinach))
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese (*I recommend Fontina)
- 1 8 oz. Package Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Craisins
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- Olive Oil
Crunchy Panko Topping (Optional)
- 2/3 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp Butter (Melted)
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Chives
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix filling ingredients in a bowl and set aside. (Make sure your kale is VERY finely chopped! You can use a food processor if you want!)
- Rinse mushrooms and remove stems.
- Brush mushroom caps with olive oil and place on large baking sheet.
- Fill each mushroom with about a tsp. of filling and press down.
- Mix panko topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle each mushroom generously with panko mixture and press down as you go so it sticks to the filling.
- Bake at 350 F for 18-20 min on top rack. If your panko topping does not have a golden brown color, switch oven setting to broil and watch CLOSELY until the top gets the right color. It should only take 2 min. tops!