Need an easy make ahead appetizer for your next party? These Mini Canapé Toasts With Sweet Cheese are one of the tastiest canapé recipes you’ll make! The topping is a mixture of , ricotta cheese, brie cheese, goat cheese, caramelized onions and honey. These minis are also great to make ahead!
What Are Canapés?
The definition of canapés are a type of hors d’œuvre made small and consisting of a small piece of bread, puff pastry, or a cracker topped with something savory. The pronunciation is “can-a-pay”.
Canapés are typically held in the fingers and often eaten in ONE BITE…or two depending on the size of your mouth. 😀
Having a blog called ‘Bite Sized Kitchen’, canapes are obviously what I love to cook, serve and EAT so this recipe for me is a must have!
There are many canapé recipes on my blog considering the definition. Here are some of my best canapés you should try!
Buffalo Chicken Brown Sugar Bites
Easy Canapés To Make Ahead
I walked by these mini toasts in the food store the other week and my mouth dropped.
Of course I grabbed a package and tossed them in my cart pondering all of the possibilities!
They are bite sized and already SUPER duper crispy so they will hold their texture nicely even after a few hours!
No soggy toasts to worry about!
This means you can MAKE THEM AHEAD of time and serve them cold (or room temperature). Who wouldn’t love that?
I made these and left them out for over 4 hours on the island and they were STILL crispy!
How Do You Caramelize Onions Quickly?
Caramelizing onions is not something to rush.
The onions need TIME to pull out the sweetness!
With that said, adding salt will help the process go a bit quicker by pulling the water out.
It is hard to find the perfect setting on your stove but lower is always better because once they’re burned, there’s no turning back!
A golden brown color is what you want so be patient!
Goat Cheese AND Brie
By the way, my husband absolutely despises goat cheese and he loved these! That’s because I used a brie/goat cheese mix along with some ricotta. The goat cheese is masked a bit but you can still taste it which is important.
Using all 3 cheeses is optional of course. It would still be delicious with just one of the cheeses, however all three together add a lil “somthin somthin”. 😆
Also, the ricotta makes the cheeses spreadable/squeezable so you can easily add it to the tops of your mini toasts. Without it, the goat and/or brie may be a wee bit tough to put on top!
*Looking for MORE gourmet canape recipes? Here are some other fun ones I found! >> Canapé Recipes
Pin this recipe for later!
You may also like these fancy hors d’œuvres:
Mini Canape Toasts With Sweet Cheese
Mini Canapé Toasts With Sweet Cheese
- 24 Mini Toasts ((Store-bought))
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion
- 1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese
- 3 oz. Brie + Goat Cheese (*See Note)
- 2 Tsp. Honey
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 6 Ripe Figs for garnish (*Optional)
- The longest task in this recipe is caramelizing your onions. It is a simple thing to do but requires patience. I promise, it's totally worth your time.Cut your onion into thin strips like in the photo. In a pan with a couple tablespoons of olive oil, simmer on LOW for 30-45 minutes. It is important not to BURN your onions. (*My burner range is from 1-10, I put mine on 2!) You should see little bubbles simmering. If not, it is too low.
- While your onions are caramelizing, add your cheeses, honey and salt to a bowl. When your onions are ready, add them in and mix all together.
- Top each mini toast with the mixture and top with a slice of fig! (*See note) Drizzle with more honey if you desire!