These Mini Baked Potatoes Appetizer are such a fun and easy appetizer to serve to kids or adults! Roasted in the oven and topped with a cheesy sour cream n’ chive filling!
This mini aka baby potatoes recipe is so delicious and such an easy appetizer! I mean, who doesn’t love a good baked potato loaded with sour cream and cheese!? They are the perfect bite size and the ideal finger food!
Oven Roasted Mini Baked Potatoes Appetizer
Baking these babies are easy and quick! With that said, I have some tips I recommend you follow for the best results:
- Prick each potato with a fork to allow quicker, more even cooking.
- Season generously with salt. (potatoes NEED salt!)
- If you can, choose baby potatoes that are all uniform in size! This way they will all bake evenly.
- Shake the pan every so often to move the potatoes around. This will allow them to brown as evenly as possible!
Are new potatoes and baby potatoes the same?
Yes! They both are delicate and slightly sweet so they do not need to be peeled and are perfect for this recipe.
Some potato recipes require other types of potatoes for the best results so going with the right potato can make a world of difference!
Here is a great example:
When making my Baked Potato Wedges, I ONLY use yellow potatoes! Russet potatoes would not give the same result.
IF you’re wondering which potatoes are best for which recipes, here is a great guide on the different types of potatoes!
Turn these whole baby roasted potatoes into a “Make Ahead” appetizer
If your hosting guests and you want to serve these roasted ‘whole’ baby potatoes to a crowd, I suggest baking your baby potatoes ahead of time (maybe a few hours ahead). Then you can pop them in the oven at 350º F for 5 minutes or so to warm up as guests arrive. I have done this with or without the sour cream filling and it turns out great either way.
Here are some other quick appetizers you may like!
Mini Baked Potatoes Appetizer
Mini Baked Potatoes (Appetizer)
- 1.5 lbs Mini Potatoes (Purple, White, Red)
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tsp Chopped Fresh Chives
- Place mini potatoes on a sheet pan and prick each with a fork. Then add olive oil, salt, pepper and onion powder. Toss to coat. Spread potatoes out so they are not touching and bake at 400 F for 20-25 minutes or until fork tender.
- When slightly cooled, slice the potato down the middle about halfway through and using your fingers, push each potato inward. This will allow the inside of the potato to open up. You do not want to completely open the potato up. (see photo)
- Add sour cream and cheese to a plastic baggie and snip off a corner allowing you a big enough hole to squeeze out the filling into each potato.
- Add as much as you please. Then top with chives (or chopped red peppers for color!) Serve warm!