These Baked Sweet Potato Rounds Topped with Hummus are gluten free, whole 30, vegetarian AND vegan and you would never know it! Plus, they take only 20 minutes! They are the ideal party appetizer that will suit any palate!
Baked Sweet Potato Rounds Appetizer
These sweet potato rounds are my first vegan appetizer and guess what?! I bet if you tried one before reading this, you would have NEVER guessed they are vegan!
Sweet potatoes cut into discs and roasted until browned and tender. Then topped with a dollop of healthy hummus!
You can use ANY store-bought hummus you like OR you can make the recipe I used here.
This hummus recipe has a little turmeric added. Turmeric is a very healthy spice AND it gives the hummus a beautiful bright yellow color! I also added a touch of cinnamon because it goes great with sweet potatoes!
I especially love hummus because you can add or take away any spice you dislike or prefer and it is still just as tasty!
How To Cut Your Sweet Potato Rounds
First, you need to buy SKINNY sweet potatoes!
By skinny, I mean not a thick or fat! You want bite sized rounds so they can be easily eaten without taking multiple bites.
Also, try to look for sweet potatoes that aren’t too pointy on the ends so you have consistent rounds and not much waste.
Here comes the math teacher in me…
Aim for a diameter of about 2 inches and a width of about 1/2″.
Topping Your Sweet Potato Rounds
Once your sweet potatoes are cut, baked and slightly cooled, you can top them with your hummus. My suggestion is to add the hummus to a piping bag. Otherwise it will be difficult to neatly top your rounds.
If you do not have a piping bag, use a plastic zip lock baggie and snip off the corner!
Here are some other healthy appetizers you may like:
Baked Sweet Potato Rounds Topped With Hummus
Healthy Hummus Sweet Potato Rounds
- 3 Sweet Potatoes (*Skinny)
- 1 15.5 oz Can Chickpeas
- 2+ Tbsp Reserved Chickpea Liquid
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Tbsp. Tahini
- 1/4 Tsp. Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/8 Tsp. Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp. Paprika
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3/4 Tbsp. Honey (*Optional)
- Slice "skinny" sweet potatoes into rounds that are about 1/2" in width.
- Place on a large baking sheet and liberally coat potatoes in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Use more than 1/2 cup of oil if needed.
- Bake on bottom rack of oven for 8-10 minutes at 425 F. You want lightly browned edges on the bottom!
- While baking, prepare hummus by using the chickpea lid to drain the chickpea liquid into a small bowl. Then add all hummus ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Add more chickpea liquid if too thick!
- Take sweet potato rounds out when lightly browned and fork tender. Do not overcook! You do not want mushy potatoes!
- When slightly cooled, place potatoes onto plate (browned side up) and drizzle with remaining olive oil from baking sheet.
- Place hummus in piping bag. Snip corner if using ziplock bag. Pipe a dollop onto each round. Make sure you can still see the potato! (You can try to spoon on the hummus but it will not be easy or look as neat!)
- Garnish with more olive oil and/or fresh herbs!