This Sliced Glazed Chicken Apple Sausage Appetizer is one of my favorite appetizer recipes to whip up! Slices of chicken sausage smothered in a sweet onion glaze and served with skewers, you'll love how easy it is to throw together!
Who doesn't love a quick appetizer for when last minute guests call? And I'm a sucker for appetizers served on skewers!
The apple chicken sausage brand I like is, al fresco's "Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage". They have other brands out there but this one is my go-to because it is healthier and made without any artificial ingredients.
How to cook chicken apple sausage
Cut open your package and drizzle them with a little olive oil. You can bake them whole or cut them into slices like I do for this appetizer.
This brand of chicken sausage is already fully cooked so you don't NEED to cook them more but I like to. The reason is to get a nice sear on your sausages. That will add so much flavor to them.
You want to cook them on high heat so they will brown nicely on the exterior while still locking in those juices on the interior.
Sweet n' Simple Brown Sugar Glaze
To make the glaze, I added some cornstarch to the pan followed by chicken stock. Cornstarch thicken sauces nicely so I use it a LOT when I need to thicken sauces last minute.
Then I added some brown sugar for some sweetness, fresh herbs for some brightness and the sliced chicken apple sausages!
Add to your Crock Pot or Slow Cooker!
These are the perfect appetizer to stick in the crock-pot or slow cooker! To do this, just prepare the recipe as is and toss it all in a crock-pot set to 'WARM'. Serve with skewers on the side.
If you like slow cooker appetizers, check out these easy crock pot appetizers!
Here are some other skewered appetizers:
Sliced Apple Chicken Sausage Appetizer
- 1 12 oz. package Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage (I like Al Fresco brand)
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Sweet Yellow Onion (Coarsely chopped)
- ½ Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Chopped Dill (or parsley)
- Salt to taste*
- Slice sausage into ½ inch rounds and saute in half of the olive oil (2-3 tbsp) over medium high heat. They are already cooked so all you want is to get some nice color on them. *Saute in 2 batches so your pan is not overly crowded!
- Remove sausage and turn down heat to medium/low. Add your onions to the same pan. (Do not clean pan.) Saute 7-10 minutes or until they soften.
- To the onions, add cornstarch and whisk for a few seconds. Add your chicken stock and whisk until mixed. Bring to a strong simmer (about 1-2 minutes). Whisk in brown sugar and and pinch of salt before turning off heat. *If you do not find you have enough sauce, add a little more stock.
- Add sausage and fresh herbs to the pan and coat in the sauce. Pour sausage onto serving plate and serve with skewers.