These Glazed Apple Chicken Sausage Bites are one of my favorite appetizer recipes to whip up! Slices of chicken sausage smothered in a sweet onion glaze, guests love this easy snack!
This post contains affiliate links. See my disclosure here.
I have been making this recipe for years. It is SO quick to whip up! I hope you will keep this one in your back pocket like I do when I am limited on time!
Sweet Bites of Apple Chicken Sausage
These bites are gluten free and done in just 15 minutes!
Who doesn’t love a quick appetizer for when last minute guests call? I usually make these puff pastry sausage pigs in a blanket with breakfast sausage but using this chicken apple sausage would be an awesome substitute!
When I first made this recipe, I purchased al fresco’s “Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage” one day while looking for a healthier way to enjoy my favorite foods, sausage.
*And no they did not pay me to write this, I just really like their sausage!!
I had never tried it before but was curious when I saw that it was made with real maple syrup and (being a huge fan of the syrup and sausage combo) I tossed a couple packages in my cart!
When I got home home I threw them in the freezer until I was ready to use them.
I actually forgot about them until one day my husband tells me his friend and friend’s wife are coming over.
I did not have much in the fridge so I rummaged through the freezer and spotted the chicken sausage!
I pulled a package out and ran it under some hot water until they were soft enough to cut up, all the while pondering what I was going to do with them.
They already come pre-cooked, so there was not much that needed to be done to them. With that said, they definitely needed a little “sprucing up”.
So boring story short, I came up with this quick flavorful recipe. And to be honest, the chicken sausage is already packed with flavor so this glaze just takes these over the top!
Sweet n’ Simple Brown Sugar Glaze
To make the glaze, I added some cornstarch to the pan followed by chicken stock. Cornstarch thicken sauces nicely so I use it a LOT when I need to thicken sauces last minute. Read more about how to thicken a sauce with cornstarch.
Then I added some brown sugar for some sweetness, fresh herbs for some brightness and the chicken apple sausage!
An Easy Sausage Appetizer
I love how beautiful this whole appetizer looks on a plate. I used to skewer them one by one but that was a waste of time, Just serve on a long plate with some skewers or toothpicks on the side. Then guests can help themselves. The fresh herbs are absolutely necessary for the color AND flavor so don’t leave them out!
Here is another one of my favorite sausage appetizers.
Crock Pot or Slow Cooker Sausage Appetizer
These are the perfect appetizer to stick in the crock-pot or slow cooker!
Just prepare the recipe as is and toss it all in a crock-pot set to ‘WARM’.
Here are some other chicken recipes you can serve on skewers!
Glazed Apple Chicken Sausage Bites
Glazed Apple Chicken Sausage Bites
- 1 12 oz. package Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage ((I like Al Fresco brand))
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Sweet Yellow Onion ((Coarsely chopped))
- 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Chopped Dill ((or parsley))
- Salt to taste*
- Slice sausage into ½ inch rounds and saute in half of the olive oil (2-3 tbsp) over medium high heat. They are already cooked so all you want is to get some nice color on them. *Saute in 2 batches so your pan is not overly crowded!
- Remove sausage and turn down heat to medium/low. Add your onions to the same pan. (Do not clean pan.) Saute 7-10 minutes or until they soften.
- To the onions, add cornstarch and whisk for a few seconds. Add your chicken stock and whisk until mixed. Bring to a strong simmer (about 1-2 minutes). Whisk in brown sugar and and pinch of salt before turning off heat. *If you do not find you have enough sauce, add a little more stock.
- Add sausage and fresh herbs to the pan and coat in the sauce. Pour sausage onto serving plate and serve with skewers.