This Easy Puff Pastry Margherita Pizza is AWESOME! Think of pizza on a delicately soft buttery crust! You can’t go wrong! Using store-bought puff pastry dough, all you need to do is top it off and bake! No kneading dough required! It is a delicious appetizer for any guest!
Margherita Pizza With Puff Pastry
I love pizza like every other normal person in this world however I LOVE margherita style pizza! There is something about the thin crust, fresh basil and sweet tomatoes that make me drool more than any other pizza.
Now. Take those ingredients and place them on top of a flaky puff pastry crust and you’ve got pizza heaven.
How To Make Pizza With Puff Pastry
Puff pastry pizza is just SO delicious! I mean, pretty much anything on top of puff pastry is delicious but take cheese and fresh herbs and veggies? Drool.
And it is SO easy to make. Even EASIER than rolling out your own pizza crust! All you need to do is purchase your favorite store-bought puff pastry dough and let it thaw in the fridge!
Then, follow these 3 easy steps: BRUSH, TOP and BAKE!!
- Brush with garlic n’ herb oil.
- Top with ingredients of your choice. (tomatoes, cheese, basil)
- Bake at 400º F!
That’s it!! Treat the dough just like pizza dough! (Well…minus the tossing and flipping…)
The results of using puff pastry are a warm, flaky, buttery, airy bite. Puff pastry pizza is just SO so good you I cannot wait until you try it!
Here are some tips that will help to give you the BEST puff pastry pizza!
- Make sure your dough is as cold as possible before baking! (this will allow your dough to really rise!)
- Make sure you don’t add too many toppings to your dough. It will weigh the pastry down making it difficult to pick up and eat!
- Use FRESH mozzarella! It. Melts. BETTER. Period.
Margherita Pizza Toppings
What ingredients are supposed to go on a margherita pizza?
The ingredients are simple and can be slightly tweaked if you wish.
- Mozzarella cheese
- Other herbs
What will separate a GOOD pizza from an AWESOME pizza will be the ingredients.
How fresh are the ingredients you are using?
I’ll let the fresh garlic go but if you are not using FRESH BASIL, then you’re not serious about making an awesome pizza.
Dried basil vs. fresh basil is a HUGE difference!
Other Homemade Pizza Topping Ideas
Like regular pizza dough, making pizza using puff pastry ALSO allows for limitless topping possibilities!
The ONLY thing you will need to worry about is the weight of what your putting on your puff pastry dough.
It is light and airy so it will not hold up as well as your standard pizza dough. Piling on too many ingredients will make it hard to eat.
Other than that, have fun and play around with what you put on it!
Other yummy toppings ideas:
- caramelized onions
- banana peppers
- bell peppers
- ricotta cheese
- shredded chicken
- minced sausage (watch the weight)
- multiple cheeses
Pin this recipe for later!!
Other appetizer recipes you may like:
Easy Puff Pastry Margherita Pizza
Easy Puff Pastry Margherita Pizza
- 2 Sheets Refrigerated Puff Pastry Dough ((17.3 oz. Package))
- 12 Oz. Freshly Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Basil
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Power
- 1/2 Tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Pepper
- Preheat over to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl, add the garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper with the oil.
- Open puff pastry sheets and place on baking sheet(s). If you don't do it now, it will be difficult to transfer. Use a pastry brush to brush a light coating of the oil n' herb mixture onto each pastry sheet.
- Slice your tomatoes thinly and spread onto each sheet.
- Grate your mozzarella and spread evenly leaving about an inch of untouched dough around the perimeter.
- Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. (I suggest placing your sheets on a lower rack in the oven.)
- Once the pizza is done, take out and add your basil leaves! (Don't add until last minute!!) Wait about 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
- Cut your pizza into whatever size you wish. Just keep in mind that it is a delicate dough so large slices will be harder to hold.
- Don't add the basil until it comes OUT of the oven!
- Freshly grated mozzarella cheese makes a difference!
- You can leave your mozzarella cut into rounds instead of grating it if you choose!
- You can use a can of diced tomatoes instead if you do not have any fresh tomatoes on hand! Just spread onto the dough first.
- Allow the pizza to rest for 5 minutes so the cheese does not come off while cutting.
- You can reheat the next day in the oven at 350 F for 4-5 minutes.