These Easy Pepperoni Pizza Cones are such a fun appetizer for all ages! The cones are easy to make and can even be made ahead of time! Guests will be RAVING over them!
An Easy At Home Pizza Cone Recipe!
Trying to impress some friends and family?? These pizza cones are it!!
This recipe is a combination of pizza, a stromboli and a calzone all in ONE yummy bite!
Unlike other recipes where you need a cone mold or kit to make your pizza ‘CONE‘, this recipe does NOT need anything other than some good tin foil and ONE good waffle cone!
I stuffed these cones with 3 different cheeses, pepperoni slices and then baked them until gooey and melty. They will disappear faster than your guests can say PEPPERONI!
How To Make Your Own DIY Pizza Cones
No pizza cone kit is needed! Just some tin foil and a cone.
Know that your “pizza cones” can be made a few different ways!
They have different cone molds available if you want to add something else to your panty…like we need it. You could also use multiple sugar cones which cost-wise add up and can be super expensive (and wasteful).
OR, you can form your OWN pizza cones using tin foil!
What you’ll need:
- Good tin foil (not the cheap stuff)
- 1 sugar cone
- Pizza dough
Step 1: Cut your pizza dough into strips that are about 3/4″ wide and about 9″ long.
Step 2: Use your sugar cone as a mold and wrap a piece of tin foil around it so that the entire piece covers the cone entirely. If you need to use another piece on top of it, you can. Press the tin foil firmly so it tightly shapes into a cone.
Step 3: Remove the tin foil from the cone and set aside. Repeat 6 more times. You should have 7 total tin foil cone molds.
Step 4: Wrap one long strand of pizza dough around each foil cone starting at the bottom going UP. Your dough should slightly overlap as you wrap it. Make sure to pinch the dough around the bottom of the cone to close up the hole! (see photo)
Step 5: Lay your finished cones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 7-8 minutes at 400 degrees F. When slightly cooled, pull out tin foil and fill with whatever you desire! (See recipe below for stuffed pizza cones!)
How To Serve Your Pizza Cones
You can lay the cones down on a plate as the cheese oozes out. This may be a little messy but its easy and cheap. If you want to purchase a cone holder, these would all work! Talk about an awesome presentation!
How To Make Your Pizza Cones Ahead Of Time and FREEZE Them!
If your like me, you’ll want to make these as far in advance as possible. I recommend, forming and baking the pizza cones the night or a few days before the party. Then, FREEZE your cones by covering them again with tin foil and then placing them in a large freezer bag.
You can also make your filling 2-3 days ahead of time. Just mix it up and place it in the piping bag (or ziploc bag) and store in the fridge.
Then, when you want to fill them, pull them out to defrost. (This shouldn’t take long.) Then fill the cones with the ricotta and pepperoni filling and place in the oven for another 5 minutes to reheat and melt the cheese.
Here are some other fun party appetizers you may like!
EASY Pepperoni Pizza Cones Recipe (with ricotta)
EASY Pepperoni Pizza Cones Recipe (with ricotta)
- 1 13.8 oz Tube Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust ((or homemade pizza dough))
Pizza Cone Filling
- 1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (grated)
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- 3 oz. Pepperoni
- 1/8 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/8 Tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/8 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- Tomato Sauce For Dipping
- 1 Waffle Cone + Tin Foil (for making cone molds)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Using your sugar cone mold, wrap 1-2 pieces of tin foil around 3/4 of the cone and press firmly. The foil should form a tight mold that is sturdy when pulled off. Repeat 6 more times until you have 7 foil cone molds. Set aside.
- Unroll your Pillsbury crust dough. (If using homemade dough, roll your dough out 1/4" thick.) Using a pizza cutter, cut 1/2" strips of dough. I was able to get 7 strips.
- Lightly spray or brush the outside of the foil with cooking spray so the dough is easy to remove from the foil. Then wrap the strand of dough around the foil cone starting from the bottom working your way up. Make sure the dough slightly overlaps as your wrap the cone so it sticks to itself! Seal the bottom of the cone by pinching the hole closed with your fingers.
- Place entire wrapped cone with foil onto a non-stick baking sheet or one lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all pizza cones are finished. (you should get about about 7)
- Bake cones for 7-8 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
- Chop your pepperoni slices leaving 7 whole slices aside. Add the sliced pepperoni and other filling ingredients to a bowl and mix.
- When cones are ready, allow to cool slightly and carefully remove tin foil from inside of each cone by squeezing the foil closed. They should slide out easily.
- Using a small spoon or mini ice cream scoop, fill each cone with filling all the way up. Seal each cone up by placing one pepperoni slice on top. Bake another 5-6 minutes until golden brown and melted. Serve warm with tomato sauce on the side!