These Easy Mini Halloween Petit Fours are the perfect bite sized dessert for your Halloween party! A fun a festive Halloween dessert that both adults and kids will enjoy!
*The following post may contain affiliate links. Please read more about my disclosure here!
Mini Halloween Petit Four Cakes
These cute Halloween petit fours ar/e not very spooky BUT they are adorably festive! They are little stacks of cake rounds filled with icing in between. All store-bought making these quick and easy!
A little food coloring and a lot of sprinkles are easy additions that will make these cake stacks look like it took hours to prepare!
Purple and Orange Halloween Cake Layers
All you need is any box of WHITE store-bought cake mix and some food coloring!
TIP* Don’t use YELLOW cake mix because it will offset your colors. Use WHITE cake mix!
Then you just prepare the cake according to the directions (usually just add some egg whites and oil), and divide the batter into 3 portions in 3 separate bowls.
I then added food coloring to each bowl until the color I wanted was achieved!
So in one bowl add orange coloring until you get a nice bright orange color. In the other add purple (or red and blue) until you get a nice Halloween purple color. In the third bowl, don’t add anything so you maintain the white cake color.
Depending upon the type of food coloring you use, the exact number of drops may be different!
Once your Halloween colors are achieved, you can bake each layer!
How To Bake Your Halloween Petit Fours
Bake each cake layer separate in smaller baking dishes. I used a 9″ pie dish which makes it easy and the perfect thickness.
Your cake batter should not be more than 1/2 – 3/4″ thick in your baking dish or the cake layers will be too thick and your finished cake stacks will end up looking more like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Eeek!
Finally, I used Pillsbury’s Filled Pastry Bag to pipe the icing in between each cake layer! Have you tried them?? They make icing SO convenient and it’s ridiculous easy to work with. Just snip the end of the bag and pipe away!
Here are the tools I used for this recipe! (from Amazon)
Here are some other party dessert recipes you may like!
Easy Mini Halloween Petit Fours
Easy Mini Halloween Petit Fours
- 1 Boxed White Cake Mix ((plus egg whites and oil))
- 1 Pillsbury Filled Pastry Bag ((I used their cream cheese icing))
- Red, Blue and Yellow Food Coloring
- Halloween Sprinkles
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions.
- Divide the batter into three 9" baking pan. If you have a cheesecake pan, this works well.
- In one baking pan, add yellow and red food coloring and mix until the orange color is achieved. (You can do this in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer if you want to speed it up) I used about 25 drops of yellow to 15 drops of red but it could differ based on the food coloring you use.
- In another pan, add red and blue until you have your purple batter. I used about 15 drops of each.
- Once desired color is achieved for both, place the white, purple and orange batter in the oven to bake. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. Make sure a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Allow to cool before cutting rounds. If you have time, freeze each layer! This makes cutting the rounds easier and neater. When ready, use a small cutter or shot glass to cut out as many rounds as you can from each layer.
- Then begin stacking and piping the frosting in between the layers of cake. Top the third layer with another squeeze of frosting and then finished with sprinkles!