The perfect tasty game day appetizer! These Crispy Philly Cheesesteak Wonton Cups use wonton wrappers to get their crispy shell. Best of all they are baked so you can make these ahead of time in BULK for any party or tailgate!
How To Make Cheesesteak Cups
Growing up just outside of Philly, I had to share an appetizer that mimics our beloved Philly cheesesteaks! These are an easier but tasty appetizer that has all the right flavors you want out of a cheesesteak but made bite sized!
Step 1: Saute your onions in a skillet until caramelized. Chop up your meat so it resembles shaved beef and mix it with your onions.
Step 2: Take your store-bought wonton sheets and cut out circles big enough to fit in your muffin or cupcake pan.
Step 3: Press them into you grease muffin tins and bake until wonton cups are lightly browned.
Step 4: Remove and add your cheesesteak and onion filling. Add a slice of cheese to the top of cheese and bake until melted.
How To Make These Ahead of Time
Prepare you wonton cups ahead of time as well as your filling. Then assemble last minute by adding your cheesesteak filling and cheese in your baked cups before your guests arrive. Bake until warm and melty.
Other Football Appetizers You May Like:
Philly Cheesesteak Wonton Cup Recipe:
Philly Cheesesteak Wonton Cup Appetizer
- 1 lb. Deli Roast Beef or Rib Eye ((sliced very thin/thinly shaved!))
- ¾ Cup White Onion ((Diced Small))
- 6 Egg Roll Wraps
- 8-10 Slices American Cheese or Provolone ((Or ¾ Cup of Cheez Whiz))
- ½ Tsp. Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Add oil to a skillet followed by your onions. Saute for 10-15 minutes over medium heat until they begin to caramelize. Set aside in medium bowl.
- -If using deli style roast beef, you do not need to cook it. Just season with salt and pepper and slice it thinly. Add it to your onions.-If using raw rib-eye, you will need to season your steak then slice it very thinly before searing your steak over high heat. Cook your meat however you prefer and then add it to your onions.
- Take your wonton wrappers and use a round cookie cutter, or cup and a knife, to cut out wonton circles.
- Make sure you brush or spray BOTH sides of the wontons rounds with cooking oil! Be generous! This will allow them to crisp up nicely. Then press them into your muffin tins using your fingers. Bake on the bottom rack for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Take out wonton shells and fill each cup halfway with meat mixture. Add a small slice of cheese then fill the rest of the tin (ALL THE WAY to the top of the wonton) with more meat mixture. Finally add another square of cheese to the top.
- Put back in the oven on the bottom rack until cheese is melted.
- Serve with ketchup or more cheese sauce on the side!