These Creamed Spinach and Feta Phyllo Cups are one of my favorite appetizer recipes to date! No bake and ready in under 15 minutes! I have no doubt they will quickly become your favorite make-ahead appetizer for any party or gathering!Spinach and Feta Phyllo Cups Appetizer
I just started my maternity leave and am more than ready for baby boy to come any day now! Cal needs a playmate desperately. Lucas is due in less than 2 weeks and we are very excited for his arrival!
In the meantime, summer is RIGHT around the corner which means bridal showers and graduation parties are in full effect!
I made these creamed spinach phyllo or “filo”, cups for a bridal shower last weekend and they were a big hit! I am, of course, always searching for quick and easy appetizer ideas that are not only delicious but are also considered an ideal “MAKE AHEAD” appetizer!
Isn’t it is SO hard to find a delicious make ahead appetizer? You have to consider how you will keep everything fresh, how you will transport the food keeping everything in tact and of course how you will reheat the food without it drying out.
Most appetizers can get very dry when reheated so that is something that I always think about before bringing food anywhere.
The GOOD thing about these cups is that you don’t need to worry about drying them out because they come pre-baked!
All you need to do is make the creamed spinach filling and fill them up. Then when you get to your destination or when guests arrive, you can pop them in the oven to warm up!
You can also fill them and freeze them if you want to make them days or even weeks ahead of time.
What Is A Phyllo Shell/Cup?
A phyllo cup is simply a cup made out of phyllo dough. Phyllo dough is a very, very thin pastry dough that is super flaky.
They are perfect for making so many bite-sized treats! Especially desserts!
**If you haven’t tried these yet, you need to! My Easy Strawberry Cream Cheese Phyllo Cups are one of my most popular recipes to date!
You can again, purchase the pre-made shells like I used for this recipe OR you can make your own like I did for this strawberry dessert!
How Do You Make Phyllo (Filo) Cups?
Okay so you have TWO phyllo cup options here…
Buy Pre-baked Cups
15 cups for $3.50
They have pre-baked phyllo cups or “shells” you could literally just thaw a fill which would turn this appetizer into a 10 minute one! The only thing is the package comes with 15 cups for $3.50. Keep in mind they are small! If you want to prepare a lot of these fast, they are perfect.
Buy Phyllo, Cut and Bake Yourself
36+ cups for $3.50
Make your own phyllo cups! I did not do this for this recipe but it is a cheaper option. Yes it takes a tad more effort but I think they look better and taste better. You also will save money and have more bang for your hard earned buck!
Math teacher time…
So the Athens brand of phyllo is the most common phyllo dough brand I have come across. If you don’t have access to this brand, that’s okay. Any brand will work since it is always cheaper than buying pre-made cups. They sell phyllo in 1 lb. packs. Either in one 12 x 17″ roll or two 9 x 14″ rolls. Both packages contain 1 pound of dough. Either way, you should be able to get at least 36 cups (4 rows of 5 for the large one and 3 rows of 4 for the smaller) if you cut your cups using a 3″ ring give or take!
A 1 lb. phyllo package is also about $3.50 and should give you at least 36 cups!
Pin this photo below to save this recipe for later!!
You may also like these party appetizers:
Creamed Spinach and Feta Phyllo Cups
Creamed Spinach and Feta Phyllo Cups
- 2 Cups (16 oz.) Frozen Chopped Spinach ((defrosted and drained))
- 3oz. oz. Good Feta
- 1 Medium White Onion (Finely Diced)
- 1 Large Garlic Clove
- 3 Tbsp. Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/8 Tsp. Salt
- 1/8 Tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Saute onions in the oil over medium-low heat until translucent. (About 7-9 minutes.) Do not brown. You just want to cook them through and bring out their sweetness.
- Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Turn up heat to high and add defrosted spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cream. After another minute, take off heat. *If mixture looks dry, add more cream! Keep it mind, It will dry out a bit more as it bakes.
- Break 2 1/2 oz. feta cheese into small chunks and combine with spinach mixture. (leave some aside for topping)
- Fill pre-baked phyllo cups nice and full and top with more feta crumbles. Serve right away OR store in your fridge or freezer and reheat for 5-10 minutes at 350 F.*If making your OWN phyllo cups, use a mini muffin tin and add your phyllo rounds to each tin. Fill then bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 F or until edges are golden brown.
- The pre-made phyllo cups do not need to be baked however I will often throw them in the oven for 5 minutes after filling, just to get them extra crispy.
- If you are making your own phyllo cups, you will a mini muffin tin and will need to bake these for at least 15 minutes or until edges have browned.
- You can freeze these with the spinach filling in them and have them ready to serve at any time! Just pop them in the oven at 350 F to warm them up.
- If you are transporting these to another location/house, I recommend using waxed paper or aluminum foil in between each layer of cups. This way you can stack your cups in one container.