These Easy Double Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies come out super moist and could not be more delicious or easier to make! Just grab your favorite box of chocolate cake mix and the rest is a piece of…dare I say it…CAKE! 🙂
Using A Box Of Chocolate Cake Mix
This cookie recipe is one of my favorites. Especially this time of year around the holidays when cookies can get somewhat…monotonous. They are the perfect cookie recipe for that cookie exchange around the corner because of how moist they stay!
Even if you don’t know your way around the kitchen, I promise these cookies will turn out perfect EVERY time! (well for my own sake…let’s say 99% of the time!) The result is the most perfectly gooey, soft, chewy cookie that’s PACKED with chocolate!
The ingredients in a typical cake mix cookie are:
- Your favorite boxed chocolate cake mix
- Butter (or oil)
Boxed cake mix requires water! But to make cookies, no water is needed! Not adding water keeps the consistency thick enough to scoop without the mix spreading out everywhere.
To this recipe, I also added CHOCOLATE CHIPS! Because why not? That is why they are “Double Chocolate” cookies. They get all melty and just add to the richness of the cake.
Once you mix all your ingredients together, grab a mini ice cream scoop! I find it easiest to use one to evenly portion out my cookies. You could of course roll the batter or “dough” using your hands as well but the consistency is a little softer then your normal cookie dough.
The Secret Ingredient I Add To My Cookies
To make these cookies taste MORE chocolatey I added a secret ingredient that I am not sure many people know about.
I add it to many of my chocolate recipes because one, I love it by itself and two, it is known to help make chocolate taste better!
What IS this secret ingredient I speak of??
I add a little bit of instant coffee mix to my batter and boom! Instant flavor upgrade! Trust me on this one.
To read more about WHY you should add coffee to any chocolate dessert, check out this article!
What Type of Cake Mix Is Best To Use?
I love most cake mixes out there! Especially if the words ‘SUPER MOIST’ are on the box because that usually guarantees that your cake, or cookies in this case, will come out super soft and fudgy. NOT overly dry!
These cake mixes are a few of the boxed mixes I love to use:
- Ducan Hines Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- Betty Crocker Chocolate Cake Mix
- Pillsbury Chocolate Cake Mix
- Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
Any of these will work! Just make sure the ounces on the box are the same. If you’re using a larger cake mix box, you may need to use more butter.
Try Adding Other Ingredients To Your Boxed Cake Mix
This recipe is great because it is SO versatile! You can add in other ingredients to kick up the flavor! Here are some ideas on how you can change up these chocolate cake cookies:
Other cookie add-ins:
- White chocolate chips or peanut butter chips instead!
- Coconut Flakes
- Walnuts or other nuts
Other cake cookie flavor options:
- Different extracts like vanilla, coffee, almond, orange, mint, etc.
- Red food coloring to make these RED VELVET CAKE COOKIES
- Peanut Butter
- Espresso powder
Cake cookie toppings:
- Sprinkles (make it holiday festive!)
- Roll your raw cookies in powdered sugar to get crinkle cookies .
- Use your thumb to make an indent and add a tsp of raspberry jam to the center!
I add extra chocolate chips to the top of all my chocolate chip cookies right before I bake them! This looks SO much more appetizing when they come out. Trust me on this one. It’s worth the extra effort!
How To Store Your Cookies and Keep Them Fresh!
Homemade cookies are best the first few days (2-3). After that, they will start to change taste and texture. Storing them in the fridge will help them last longer.
Can You Freeze Them?
If you want to enjoy them longer, seal your cookies in plastic wrap and freeze them! They should last 3-4 weeks frozen.
*Tip for keeping your them moist.
*Add a tortilla round to the bottom of your container, under some parchment paper. This will help keep your cookies soft longer. This is great for packaging cookies to send friends and family especially around the holidays!
Here is a great article that explains how to do this in further detail how to keep your cookies fresh!
Other dessert recipes you may like:
EASY Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies
- 1-15.25 oz. Box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter ((or oil))
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips (Milk or semi-sweet)
- 2 Tsp. Instant Coffee (*Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- (Reserve 1/4 chocolate chips for later.) In a large mixing bowl, add your cake mix, butter (or oil), instant coffee (if using) and eggs and mix until combined. Stir in 3/4 of your chocolate chips last.
- Using a mini cookie scoop or your hands, scoop or roll 1-2 oz. of batter onto a nonstick baking sheet. (I used 2 scoops which was about 2 oz. of batter for larger cookies.) If not using nonstick, use parchment paper or a silicone mat so they do not stick.
- The batter will be a little sticky so use an ice cream scoop to make the process clean and your cookies consistent in size. No need to press down your cookies.
- Add a few chocolate chips (4-5) to each cookie mound and bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies are just baked through. DO NOT overbake them! They may not look done in the middle when you pull them out but as they cool, they will harden!
- When fully cooled, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Freeze up to 4 weeks.