An easy mini puff pastry appetizer that will be sure to please any crowd! These Chili Bites are my go-to appetizer for tailgate parties or football games! They are quick to put together and absolutely delicious!
Quick Puff Pastry Appetizer (with chili)
This appetizer is something I thought of one Sunday morning when I
needed something QUICK to make for the big game.
I ALWAYS have frozen puff pastry sheets in my freezer! They are such a quick way to whip up something fabulous and delicious! Right away, I knew I wanted to use it!
I also always keep Hormel’s canned chili in my pantry which I was so happy to see sitting on the shelf! Then I married these two ingredients together, threw on some cheese and scallions and boom! A super easy and quick appetizer for the game!
Have you checked out these 51 Unique Game Day Finger Foods you NEED To Serve??
Quick Chili Appetizer
I know, I know…
Chili is meant to be simmered for HOURS and hours and is always better the longer you cook it!
BUT my goal here on the blog, is to bring you appetizer ideas that are quick and easy while still tasting delicious!
So Hormel’s canned chili is my solution. They make chili with AND without beans! So use whichever you like!
Then I added some other ingredients to kick it up a notch and its done!
How To Cut Your Puff Pastry Appetizer Squares
I absolutely LOVE puff pasty. I just can’t help myself. I know it is not the healthiest thing but it makes almost anything you top it with that much more amazing!
With this recipe, you can cut your puff pastry any way you wish. Try cutting circles, squares, rectangles, or even into a football helmet..if you are artistic!
I cut simple rectangles because they are easiest to eat and does not waste any pastry dough.
*Puff pastry tip*
Defrost your dough in the refrigerator otherwise the puff pastry dough will be sticky and gummy!
Assembling Your Chili Bites
Once you have your puff pastry cut, mix up your chili filling in a bowl and add a spoonful to the center of each rectangle.
You will bake them like this then add cheese on top at the end when so the cheese will just barely melt.
Try another puff pastry appetizer that I LOVE to make my Buffalo Brown Sugar Bites.
How to make your chili bites AHEAD of time:
The BEST way to make these bites ahead of time is to cut and assemble them before guests arrive. Cover with some plastic wrap and leave in the fridge when ready to bake.
Then remove plastic wrap and throw them in the oven when you’re ready!
These are best served WARM!
You can serve with a dollop of sour cream on top OR with sour cream on the side!
Don’t leave out the scallions! It adds some freshness to the dish AND some color, BOTH of what are needed!
Save this recipe by pinning the photo below!!
Here are some other delicious game day appetizers you may like:
Quick Puffed Pastry Chili Bites
Quick Puffed Pastry Chili Bites
- 1 Package Frozen Puff Pastry Dough ((2 Sheets))
- 1 Can Hormel Chili ((with or without beans))
- 2 Tsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Scallions
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese ((Jack, Mozzarella & Cheddar bag mix))
To Top It Off
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream ((Optional))
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and take out your puff pastry dough.
- Mix chili, vinegar, and scallions together in bowl and set aside. (Reserve 1-2 tbsp of scallions to garnish.)
- Prepare your puff pastry dough by opening puff pastry sheets and cutting each sheet into 12 equal squares. (Tip* Working with cold dough is easier than room temperature!)
- Place a tbsp of chili mixture onto the center of each square. Refreeze any extra dough for another time. You should get at least 18 bites (1 1/2 sheets.)
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until pastry dough is golden brown.
- You can choose to add the cheese and stick it back in the oven to melt the cheese OR you can just add the cheese and serve right away!
- Then add a dollop of sour cream to each followed by chopped scallions for a better presentation!